Mater Dei Primary School was opened by Archbishop Dunne in 1917 as Holy Angels School and was administered by Brisbane Catholic Education. The school was run by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan and was situated in a Parish of the same name.
Beginning as a co-educational school for primary aged children, during its history the school also served the community as a secondary school for girls.
In 1955, the school was re-named Mater Dei Primary School and the first lay principal was appointed in 1978. The Sisters of the Good Samaritan remained involved until 1982.
At centenary celebrations in 2017, the school community acknowledged the contribution of the Sisters of the Good Samaritan as the foundation teachers. They were recognised by the naming of school sporting house teams in their honour.
The school is proud of its history and is committed to the continuing the tradition of delivering outstanding Catholic education for families in Toowoomba.